Friends of the Ravines is proud to announce our 6th Ravine Art Contest: Artwork Inspired by Franklin County Ravines,” a contest for students in Franklin County Ohio. Entries of poetry and 2D art will be accepted for four grade categories including elementary (K-2) and (grades 3-5), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12). All entrants, friends, families and teachers are invited to attend an Award Ceremony at the Northwood ARTSpace, 2231 N. High Street, on February 24, 2017. Prizes will be awarded to first-place winners in each grade category. Winning works and selected entries will be publicly exhibited at the Northwood ARTSpace during February and March 2017.
Olabisi Peters, Columbus Gifted Academy, grade 8
Ravine Art Contest Deadline is January 20, 2017
Enter Today! Download entry form here
- The Ravine Art Contest is open to all Franklin County students in grades K-12. Public and private school students, latchkey participants and home schoolers are encouraged to enter.
- A completed entry form must accompany all submissions. Entry forms are downloadable here.
- Entries must be original, flat works of art or poetry. No electronic reproductions, tracings, or copies will be accepted. Entries must be submitted flat or rolled, not folded.
- One contest entry per student.
- Subject matter of each entry must be an original artwork related to Franklin County Ravines. What is a ravine habitat? What kinds of animals live there? What trees and shrubs grow there? Is there a stream and aquatic life? Are there insects or birds? How do ravines make you feel?
- Maximum size of 2D artwork should be 18” X 24”, not including matting. Entries in all grade categories must be matted or mounted (floated) and ready to display. DO NOT FRAME ARTWORK.
- Poetry Guidelines: Any form of poetry will be accepted up to 500 words. Student poets may use photographs posted on Friends of the Ravines website for inspiration or find their own form of inspiration.
- Poetry entries and entry forms may be submitted electronically in jpeg, doc, or pdf format. Send to FriendsOfTheRavines@gmail.com. Put Ravine Art Contest in the subject line.
- Entries may be submitted by U.S. Mail to Friends of the Ravines, P.O. Box 82021, Columbus, Ohio 43202.
- Entries can be delivered in person to the Indianola Informal K-8 School at 251 East Weber Road, Columbus, OH 43202. Please call the school at (614) 365-5579 for hours. To make alternate arrangements to submit entries, contact the Contest Coordinator at (614) 447-1650 before the deadline.
- All non-electronic entries must include an entry form securely affixed to the back. Teachers/Sponsors of contest winners will be notified by e-mail and/or phone at the contact information provided on the entry form by February 17, 2017. Incomplete entry forms may be disqualified.
- Entries must be submitted or postmarked by January 20, 2017.
- By entering, the artist gives Friends of the Ravines and contest sponsors permission to use their artwork or poetry in a public art exhibit, on their website or communications and in the Friends of the Ravines’ newsletter, Ravinia. All artwork remains the property of the artist.
- Friends of the Ravines will take great care of all entries; however FOR is not responsible for events that may cause damage to the entries.
Entries will be judged by artists and/or former teachers from the central Ohio area. The judges will evaluate technical ability and creativity as it relates to the “Artwork Inspired by Franklin County Ravines” theme. Depictions of ravines must have appropriate ravine inspiration, and be tastefully rendered. Friends of the Ravines reserves the right within their complete discretion to disqualify any entries that may be deemed unsuitable for public display.
Optional: Contestants may choose to attach a brief statement (50 words max.) about their medium, subject, interpretation, favorite ravine, or any other information they feel is relevant to judging.
- Teachers/Sponsors will be notified by February 17, 2017.
- Prizes will be awarded in the form of gifts or certificates from a local art supply, book store, or local merchant depending on the nature of the entry. Prizes will be awarded to winners in the following groups: grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
- School sponsors of the winners will receive a school specialty gift certificate or check for sponsors to use in purchasing classroom supplies. The amount and number of school prizes will depend on the entries and level of funding available. At least three school prizes will be awarded. School prizes will not be awarded to individuals.
Public Art Exhibition
- All winning entries will be on display at the Northwood ARTSpace, 2231 N. High Street, Room 100 from February 18 through March 17, 2017.
- A reception for all entrants, friends, families and teachers will be held on Friday February 24, 2017 at 7:00 PM.
- Winners are not required to be present to win.
Return of Artwork
Artwork may be picked up at the Indianola Informal K-8 School after March 31, 2017. Teachers or parents may submit a stamped and self-addressed envelope for the return of entries. Friends of the Ravines is not responsible for artwork not picked by May 2, 2017. Please call the Indianola Informal K-8 School at 251 E. Weber Rd. for hours at (614) 365-5579.
The 2017 Ravine Art Contest is made possible through the generosity of individual donors.